Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Looking for a Saving Grace

We unconciously look for certain people to be in our young lives, those who will do a little something extra for us in the esteem department. With developed, before our time knowledge, they bring our minds to a point of enlightenment and often provide a drive for us to better ourselves. We love them for how wanted they make us feel when they give us attention and praise that we missed out on. They are a substitute parental figure without all the guilt, resentment or pressure. They are our favorite people.
Sometimes, we are at a loss when we find out they too have shortcomings, fears and problems. It makes you think; "Is the world full of nothing but broken people?" What I have chosen to do lately is to embrace those faults with an open mind. Knowing that it may just be responsible for creating the person you love. However, with all the leniency I may give, I feel that (at this moment in life anyway) that I am the only person I could ever truly rely on. I get myself out of situations. I can chose to love myself just the way I am. I am my biggest fan. This sometimes gets in the way of letting people in.
My question is, where are our heros? Where are those princes and white horses when all we see is wicked witches and big, ugly towers. Do people with rough childhoods become so jaded at such a young age that we fail to see the romanticism and allure of finding a true confidant? Is it us or them? They are not the enemy, we are.

No comments: